May 14, 2012

New Vendor: Crafted Locally

Good Monday morning friends! The weekend is gone but I have a fun post for you today. Hey, I try to always brighten your day. :)

Today we are featuring a new vendor who I am very excited to share with you. Technically she is not new at what she does but she is new to Lovebird Productions readers. Say "Hi" to Debora Griffin of Crafted Locally.

I should technically call her Mrs. Debora because she was the first one to ever give me a job. I babysat her two beautiful girls back when I was in high school. Her oldest daughter is going into her senior year of high school which means I am old. Mrs. Debora is one of my favorite people. She has a true talent for taken something that appears broken and making it into something new! She crafts gorgeous jewelry and makes fresh breads and laundry detergent. Her shop Crafted Locally has no two set of earrings alike. Each woman gets something that is personalized for them. What a special treat! Now it is time for you to get to know Debora a bit more... 


1. Give us a little background about you and your family.

I have a Bachelor of Business Administration in Economics and worked many years as a stock broker. I married late in life (31 yrs old) and had children when I was even older (38). My husband and I are both from South Arkansas and have settled here to raise our family. My two daughters are 13 and 16 now and keep us running with their many school activities. We also like animals. We have two cats, one dog and two guinea pigs!

2. How did you get started in crafting jewelry?

I got started when the girls and I decided to make book marks similar to ones we saw in a large chain book store. We looked at theirs and decided with a few beads and a few tools, we could make those too. We did, but then the girls moved on to their next interest and we had a bunch of beads left over. I saw a short tutorial on line about making earrings and when I tried a few I FELL IN LOVE with making my own. I love earrings and have more pairs than I care to count.


3. What is your favorite part of your job?

My favorite part of the job is making the earrings. Browsing all the bead choices and combining materials to create unique, one of a kind, handmade earrings plus learning new skills to keep the work fresh is fun. Currently I’m learning how to make wire weaved flower earrings and pendants. I particularly like when customers have broken jewelry they want to try to re-cycle so as to not be wasteful, or we exchange some of my already created pieces for their pieces…everybody wins. I get “new” unique pieces to work with and they don’t have to pay for an equivalent amount of jewelry already made!!

4. What do you hope to offer brides?

I offer unique, affordable, handmade jewelry to dress up or down any outfit. The range of styles - from delicate and graceful to fun and funky – guarantees there is something for everyone. I use broken jewelry along with new pieces and re-cycle what I can to create one of a kind pieces.

I have also done custom jewelry for two weddings that was a GREAT deal of fun. Designing with a bride for her special day fulfilled a place in me to make her day all she wanted. From the bride’s earrings down to the flower girl’s little bracelets, everyone in the wedding party had a beautiful handmade piece of jewelry designed and selected especially for her.


5. Tell us a few fun things about yourselves!

I love making earrings, hate housework & am learning to cook at 50+ some odd years. I love my husband more and more each year and look forward to the day it will be just us in the house again.

I did discover in the last few years that I really only like learning “something” until I do it well then I’m ready to move on and learn “something” new. That’s one of the reasons why all my jewelry will be unique pieces because I don’t like to repeat my work.

Now it is time for you to go visit Debora's Pinterest, Etsy shop and Facebook. I also wanted to show you a few more treats made by Crafted Locally!









Don't you just love the owls? Happy Monday folks! Make sure to leave a comment for Debora below. See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! I will be contacting you Debora!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to hearing from you Rachel! You can contact me via facebook.com/craftedlocally.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.