May 31, 2012

DIY: Popcorn Wedding Favor {Love is Sharing Your Popcorn}

In case you didn't know, I like popcorn. This post here is proof. Like may not be a strong enough word. I love popcorn. I am one of those weird people who do like the buttery kind but would take it plain any day. Maybe it is the crunch and saltiness? I also like to mix popcorn and M&M's. Katie, is this whole post about popcorn? Pretty much folks.

A few Christmas' ago I made homemade treats for my friends as gifts. Yeah, I am one of those people. I love puppy chow but I wanted to mix it up. I found a recipe for poppy chow (oh so clever) and over time have mastered this really easy recipe. I did promise a DIY this month and this DIY is one that even an uncrafty gal can tackle. I know that wedding favors are not a must but if you find something that fits your personality, go for it.

{Recipe: Poppy Chow}

Ingredients:
  • 9 cups plain popcorn
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet.)
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • X c. unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp. good vanilla
  • 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • Plastic goodie bag
  • Favor tag
  • Yarn or string


Let's get started.

Pop your popcorn and place in a large bowl.


Place chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave for a minute or so.


After mixing together melted chocolate mixture, pour it into your popcorn.


Mix it up and snag a couple of chocolately pieces for yourself. (A must!)


Once the popcorn is coated with the chocolate, pour in your powdered sugar. It takes a bit but try and spread it on all the pieces of popcorn.


Place on a pan or tray and stash in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set. I put it in the freezer because 30 minutes in the fridge is just too long for me. Once you have tried this tasty treat you will agree with the previous statement.

{DIY: Favor Bag and Printable}

I knew that I wanted to include a fun printable. The Wedding Chicks always have the best printables that are so darn cute. I chose the ombre hearts found here.


I took the printable and secured it to the front of the plastic bag.

 
Next I stuffed the bag with the poppy chow and tied a sweet little bow around the top with twine.


This favor is easy, cost effective and easily accomplished with friends and family helping. And I do believe love is sharing your popcorn especially when you love it as much as me.

15 comments:

  1. This is cute, I love it! Pinned it on Pinterest ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your help and making the picture even cuter :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, YUM! This is such a great idea, and super easy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun! I love easy DIY's because they are right up my alley! lol

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is! It is a crowd pleaser! I hope you get to enjoy it soon :)

      Delete
  4. Wow...we may have to try this. I"m thinking I have all the ingredients, maybe NOW is a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! I would love to make this for my wedding favor! How far in advance do you think that I could make it so it stays fresh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few days before would keep it fresh and yummy! Good luck :)

      Delete
  6. My fiance and I were thinking popcorn for our harvest wedding theme! Although we're looking into favor bags, what size did you use?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What size is the bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the standard treat bag they had at my local craft store. They also sell them at big big stores too!

      Delete
  8. Yes How far in advance should this be done? I like to plan a head my wedding is next july can I do this in June? would it be good for a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The popcorn will stay good for a few weeks for sure. Keep it stored in a air tight container! :)

      Such a neat treat for wedding guests!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.