April 27, 2012

Q & A: How Do We Cut the Cake?

Friday is here! Can you believe it? Smell that? Oh, that is just my wonderful weekend ahead of me. Smells good friends!

I have to say today's Q and A may take the cake. Literally. Videography gives me insight into many, many weddings. This is one blog post that I have never read about or had any clue what I was doing myself. Most couples don't think about cake cutting until they are actually cutting their cake for guests to enjoy.


Q: How do we cut the cake?

A. You don't. You throw it at your guests. Totally kidding but guys cake cutting is an art. All your guests are watching. Your palms are sweating. Is your husband going to smash cake in your face? Is your eyeliner smeared? Do you have meatball sauce on the back of your dress from a guests plate brushing up against you when they hugged your neck? True story. Interesting story really.

Cake cutting is something you more than likely have not thought about. I love when couples go to cut the cake and then realize it isn't cutting like a normal cake. The expression of confusion as they stare into the camera is priceless. No, I shouldn't make fun but honestly I love it. I will say each cake is different. Some are right on the stand. A majority of cakes have a cardboard base under the bottom cake layer. When you cut into the cake you start to think why is this not cutting through all the way? You have, no worries. Also remember that bottom layer when it comes to plating your piece of cake. You will not cut a perfect piece and that is okay. Cake is all the same really good with strawberries, butter cream, cream cheese, chocolate and a baker who knows how to make your belly happy. If your cake has layers place the cutter vertically into the cake at the edge of the second layer. Make sure you do this last. Pick up you plate. When you have inserted the cutter vertically pull towards you. As the piece starts to pull away slightly turn your hand. It magically falls on its side and the icing stays in tact. If all of this is confusing, have the baker, servers or cake attendants have your piece already cut or you can always just have cupcakes!

Love Song Friday next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.