October 25, 2012

Q & A: Finding What You Love, Hello Passion


I am going to be so honest in today's post. So honest, that not everything I write will be flattering but I need to say it and you need to hear it.

I get the question all the time from people my age and even older. How do I find what I want to do with my life? Or I have tried various careers but I still haven't found what I love. Or how do I start my own business. Or I want to blog like you. First, blogging is totally a hobby/passion right now. I make no profit off of this gig. I just love it that much. Do I hope to make some income? Of course, but right now every single post you read is a piece of me. It is something that I take the time to do because I feel women need encouragement and I want to offer that.

Second, I can write this long post full of tips but the biggest deciding factor in your future and career is...wait for it...you! Yeah. You are the biggest obstacle, success, frustration and story teller of your life. Once you understand that then you can move on in this post. Until then, you might as well shut this tab out and come back another time.

Here is a bit of my story (in which case I want you to understand I do NOT have it all together). I graduated college with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Political Science. I had dreamed of being a news anchor but not until my last semester of college did I realize I hated being in front of the camera. At the time it was a huge, huge disappointment to me. It really brought me down but little did I know how that would play a part in my future endeavors. I did quickly learn that I loved producing. I loved being the boss of the show. I loved writing scripts. I loved editing video. I loved the behind the scenes career.

Once I graduated I worked 11 pm - 8 am as the assistant and at one point the producer of a morning news show. I loved it. I thrived. I was excited. Of course working at night and early morning had big disadvantages but I didn't care. I was so happy to be doing what I loved. After a few months there I started to notice that I didn't like the way the entire operation ran. The ethics at the station were outrageous. Certain people really ruined it for everyone else. I knew that even though I loved what I was doing I knew I couldn't stay at the station. I felt that if I worked there and contributed my talents that it condoned the behavior of the higher ups. I started browsing for a new position and quickly found a job at web design company in which I had no experience. The head of the company hired me on the spot as an Administrative Assistant. When I left the news station, I was sad but I knew I made the right decision. Three other people left for the same reasons  and that was a comforting feeling.

I was working as a secretary for about two weeks when I realized I was beyond bored. I just wasn't meant to be a secretary and maybe I had not looked long or hard enough for the next fit. Regardless, one of my bosses thought I needed more responsibility. I slowly took on more projects and began working with clients. In the year and a half I was there, I went from answering phones to writing content that became published material on websites. I loved writing and seeing the happiness my skill brought to the client (along with my talented co-workers whom I still miss). It was rewarding but a few months in I realized that I was not pleased with management....again. For the longest time I thought it was me. Maybe I was the reason I was not enjoying work meetings or responding to my bosses emails. I really thought I was the problem. I was convinced that I just wouldn't be happy in an office from 9-5. I lived in misery and pity for quite sometime. I complained to Rusty. I complained to my friends. I complained to my mom. I was not fun, at all.

One day I was sitting at my desk and saw another videography companies website and that is when a light bulb went off. Who says I have to work in a dim office 40 hours a week? Who says I have to do this "job" the rest of my life? Who says I cannot take my joys and turn them into a day job or hobby? I began brainstorming wedding videohgraphy. I was sold on the idea and wrote a business plan. I kept all these things a secret from my friends and most of my family. I started researching cameras and packages and ideas. I was so happy! I started a little business with a blog on the side. My whole idea was to blog on the side and create lovely video.

I left my day job and within a month of that my husband and I moved to Texas. It threw a big kink in my plans. I was planning on growing my business for the Arkansas bride and had successfully already booked (6+) weddings in my home state. I was determined to make the best of it. I was determined to be a successful videographer. I was determined to succeed. I have learned so much during that time. I have made numerous mistakes but I have gotten back up and dusted the dirt off. I have overworked myself but also not pushed myself enough at times. Starting a business has been a huge life lesson. I still cannot believe where I have come in a year and a half. I still find myself learning from others and meeting new people and not repeating my past errors. I am not perfect. This blog is not perfect. My videos are not perfect but I am happy. I really am. While I still have a few other passions I hope to one day try in life, I love where I am right now. I am my own boss. I am my own accountant. I am my own sounding board. I am me. Typos and all.

It hasn't been until recent months that I realized all the things I griped about with past jobs have truly molded my love/job/hobby now. I did not like working for rude, hypocritcal bosses so I became my own boss. I love video and editing. I loved telling stories through video. I loved writing. I loved pretty images. All of these things that I loved are things that I now do daily. It is so fun y'all!

I finally quite feeling sorry for myself. I finally did something about my situation. I finally and continually push myself. I finally cared enough to think bigger, to do more, to believe in myself. I am still a little blog. I am still a little video company but here I am. I am learning that blogging (which was a side thing to the main thing of video) is becoming a forefront in my favorite thing to do every day. But Katie there are SO many blogs these days. Very true but I know mine is different. I know that I have something to offer women and planning brides. My heart beats for this blog and the love I pour into it. The same goes for my videos and clients. I have learned that it isn't about the quantity of video you produce but the quality for that special bride. Who knows if I will be doing this in six years but I sure hope so. I just hope to be healthy and happy and pushing myself for more success. I am where I need to be and I owe it to a lot of people and their encouragement. I am a work in progress but I am having so much fun. Let us never stop growing. Let us never stop seeking. Let us never stop dreaming. Let us never give up.

Sorry I am chatty but I just feel you can make such a difference if you would just try. Here is a few ways how:

1. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. No one has it all figured out. I don't. If you had it all figured out, what fun would that be? Don't beat yourself up. Yes, tough days, weeks and months may come but your character is much stronger than those bad times.

2. Surround yourself with like minded people. This is so important. If you want to blog, find bloggers who can help encourage you. Find others to brainstorm with. Like minded people are positive and bring inspiration.

3. Push yourself. No great thing was ever accomplished by someone just thinking about what they want to do. Get up and do it. Your future is right there and waiting. What is holding you back? Want to teach children music? Want to be a park ranger? Do it. There is just no other way around it.

4. Develop tough skin. Oh man has blogging taught me this lesson. Anything you do in life is going to require tough skin. Prepare yourself for the day when someone is not nice but remember they are paying attention. Kill people with kindness.

5. If you are comparing yourself to someone else, stop...NOW! This never helps. You are you and no one else (thank goodness). It is so easy to find myself comparing number of readers with other blogs but how is that helping me? It doesn't. Stick to your voice and game plan.

6. Understand plans change. Change can happen quickly so go with it.

7. Interview them. This was the greatest lesson I have ever learned with job interviews. Some people may want to climb the cooperate ladder. With each position you interview for, interview them back. A job may look perfect on paper but after talking with your potential boss the job may not be for you. That is okay but at least you know now because you took the time to ask them questions versus finding out 6 months into your new job.

8. Don't jump at the first opportunity that comes your way unless it is your opportunity. What do you mean by this? I am firm believer that if one door closes another one will open but I also think that every opened door is not always made for you. For example, when I first moved to Texas I was approached by a wedding planning company to be a part of a few events all with there company. I was interested but the kicker was that I would be giving my services for free for about three of there events. I was told it would be great exposure and that I would be working with numerous wedding pro's in San Antonio. I loved the idea but something just didn't feel right. I talked it over with Rusty and decided that I just couldn't give my services away for free multiple times. I needed to make a profit even if small. They told me they weren't interested after that. That was okay and I understood. I am so glad that I stuck with my gut on that situation because these events that I would have given my services to have yet to make a splash in the wedding industry in San Antonio. Make sure you think over things before walking through the open door.

9. Write it down. This probably should be first in this list. Write down what you love to do and what makes you happy. You may start to see your career or job unfolding there on the paper. I also think journaling (Rusty makes fun of me for using journal this way) or writing down you ideas is a must. One day you can look back and smile knowing you accomplished them all.

I hope this post helps. I hope that you feel encouraged to pursue what you love. You dream career is out there but it really does depend on you. I promise you can do it. Hugs friends!

1 comment:

  1. Katie, when we first met and you told me about how your college experience/disappointment - THAT'S when I decided that you were the friend for me. I also realized that my "dream" my whole life was not for me and it was a shock.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.