May 4, 2012

Q & A: Who Pays for What?


Eeeek! I am so excited that it is Friday! I love getting to share in almost weekend days with you. Who doesn't love a good financial talk on a Friday morning? I know that I do. I am kidding but today's Q & A is just like the title suggests. Grab your coffee and belly up to the counter or deck because we are going to breakdown who pays for what when it comes to wedding details, vendors, the rehearsal dinner, the band...everything. Now before I go any further with this post, I know that times have changed. The ways weddings work in 2012 is different than weddings in 1990. I suggest when deciding who is going to pay for what that each couple sit down and decide what works best for them. What I am about to share may not be right for every couple. This post is pulling from tradition plus adding a few modern touches as well. A lot of couples use their own money when planning their big day. Some couples parents pay for everything while some couples plus their parents split costs down the middle. Pick a financial plan that works best for you and your other half. For money saving tips while planning or a budgeting tool click here and here.

With all that being said let us take a look at cost breakdown (traditionally):

{Bride + Family}: 
  • Reception venue
  • Ceremony venue
  • Bride's Dress + accessories
  • Bridesmaid gifts
  • Bridesmaids flowers + flowers used at reception and ceremony
  • Photography & videography
  • Invitations/Announcements
  • Groom's ring
  • Lodging for bridesmaids and officiant
  • Caterer

{Groom + Family}:
  • Marriage license
  • Officiant fee
  • Brides bouquet, boutonnieres, corsages for grandmothers and mothers
  • Lodging for groomsmen
  • Rehearsal dinner plus plan it
  • Honeymoon
  • Brides band (ring)
  • Groom's attire
  • Groomsmen gifts
  • Gift for the bride


{Newer Trends}:
  • Groom's family pays for alcohol at reception
  • Groom's family pays for band
  • Groom's family pays for transportation for wedding party
  • Bride and Groom pay for honeymoon
I have researched articles and books about who covers what costs. Like I said, find what works best for you and your groom plus families. How about a little Love Song Friday? I have a good one coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.