May 3, 2012

Our Unique Wedding Gift: Pong Time


Yes, that is me at my first wedding shower. Oh the days of long hair and flowered corsages. I have to say when it came to wedding showers we were beyond blessed. Showers are fun because you always get to hear stories about your childhood or even better your husbands childhood. My mom even made the comment that Rusty must have paid the 40+ ladies at our shower in his hometown because they all had something sweet to say about him. Ha! The one thing about wedding showers that no one tells you is that you are going to be tired. You smile a lot. You open a lot of gifts. You hug a lot of necks. You say a lot of thank you's but it is all worth it. By the way that cake in that picture was beyond good!

When Rusty and I registered we picked a handful of stores with varying prices. For more tips on registering or where to get started click here. I promise it will help. We had lived on our own so somethings we didn't need but matching dishes were a must.  After each shower, I worked hard to complete my thank you notes before the next shower. We couldn't believe how kind people were. Everyone really went above and beyond! Some gifts we got multiples and returned. Some gifts we really had no idea why we would need them. Some gifts made us laugh. For the most part people stuck with our different registries.

A few weeks after our wedding we were getting settled into our first home when Rusty's best man gave him a call. John called to let Rusty know that he was on his way over to our house with our wedding gift. A few minutes later John and his mom pulled into the driveway. Their truck had a giant box in the back. I was baffled by what gift he had bought us. With the biggest smile on his face, John announced that he had purchased us a ping pong table. A what? Ping pong table. My initial thought was where in the world would we put it? Come to find out Rusty knew that John would be getting this gift for us and somehow managed to let it slip his mind to tell me. I just stood there. John's mom did gift me with an amazing set of white Corningware.

{Sorry for the iPhone Picture. Jane is so cute.}

A year and a half of being Mrs. Farrin I will admit that I love that ping pong table. I have used it to work on things in our garage. I have used it to challenge my husband to a game or two. It has been a table for my yearly garage sale. The movers who packed and shipped our stuff to Texas were most impressed with that item. It does fold up and rolls nicely into the corner to be stored in the garage. While most friends gifted us with a new spatula, John gave us a ping pong table. It still makes me laugh when I pass it in the mornings. Ladies, good luck with all your wedding showers. Who knows? Maybe you can be blessed with a ping pong table too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.