July 11, 2014

Yes to Colbie


I am sure you have already seen this fabulous article by Elle from an interview with Colbie Caillat. Colbie has released a new song called Try that the video alone is encouraging but the words are even better.

Colbie is demolishing this idea that we have to be perfect. And everyone's definition of perfect is different. I know we talk about it all the time especially for women but do we really get it? I feel it isn't just society that make women think they have to be perfect, made up, slim, famous...it is also us as women who do it. I know that I put pressure on myself to be ideal. But, to whose standard?

That is exactly what Colbie's new song is about. She says there is nothing wrong with getting dolled up and even admits that she loves getting made up but she also loves days in her jams. She says, "And the thing is that I like myself when I’m not that way [made up], but I feel like other people might not like me that way. And I know that most women go through that. When you have blemishes on your skin, gain weight, or my friend has crooked teeth, or my mom’s roots are going gray. And everyone is trying to hide their faults from each other when we all have it."

Your definition of pretty and accomplished is yours and no one else's. You don't have to try for anyone. Do what makes you feel like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.