August 4, 2011

Our Engagement!

This week I have been sharing my love story. I have loved getting to relive memories and laughs. You can read about life before meeting Rusty here and the night we met here. I wanted to talk about dating and our engagement.

From the moment I met Rusty we inseparable. We met on a Tuesday (April Fool's Day - which is fitting for our senses of humor.) The following Saturday we spent time together with friends and Sunday we had a movie night with friends at his house. Once the movie ended we sat up talking. We talked about everything. Past relationships. Our favorite things. What we want out of life. After not even knowing Rusty a week he was becoming my best friend. He was special. I didn't know what was to come of our relationship but regardless he was a forever friend. He made everything easy and fun.

After dating for a few weeks, Rusty called me one Thursday afternoon and asked my plans for the weekend? He told me that he had purchased to tickets to the Cardinals v. Cubs game in St. Louis. He loves the Cards. I love the Cubs. Classic Rivalry. I was charmed by his spontaneity. Friday came and we loaded the car and took off for St. Louis. This was a make or break trip. We knew we liked each other and we enjoyed each others company but this trip would test us. We had to drive 3 hours together plus it was our first overnight trip together. The car ride went GREAT and we changed into our gear and headed to the field. St. Louis was beautiful! We sat through the game. I was surrounded by Card fans. In the last inning of the game, the cards pulled out a victory. Following the game we decided to go out and have a few drinks. We headed to Maggie O' Briens. Once we got there we started talking and Rusty asked me to be his girlfriend. I thought it was so sweet and perfect. We danced the night away, he entered a ping pong tournament and had a blast.

We continued dating and before I realized it, I was head over heels in love. He was perfect. He was a great balance to my personality. He kept me calm. He made me laugh. He loved me even when I didn't deserve it. He was my soulmate. I was so surprised at how easily things happened. With other relationships I was always looking for the next step. I always thought what can I do now? With Rusty each day happened and each day we grew stronger. My family loved him, my friends adored him and I was smitten.

Our one year anniversary was approaching and we didn't want to make a big fuss but decided to travel back to St. Louis. We were going to go up for a day, staying the night and being touristy! We didn't want to make plans - just go with it. When we got to St. Louis we checked into a gorgeous historic hotel downtown and then set out for the day. We walked all over the place, had a great patio lunch and took so many pictures. By mid afternoon I was wanting a nap so we headed back to the hotel. Once I got up we decided to get dolled up and go have dinner and drinks. {Sidenote: A few weeks prior to leaving I found a jewelry bag in Rusty's coat pocket. He took it from me and never brought it up. I thought I was going to get engaged soon. I told a girlfriend and she told me not to get my hopes up! lol}

While getting ready, Rusty gave me my anniversary gifts. He bought me new slippers per my request and then whipped out a tiny black box. I got really excited and he told me that it wasn't a ring but new diamond earrings. I was ecstatic because I love diamond studs! I knew then though that the jewelry bag was for the earrings. No engagement but I was still VERY excited about the earrings. We left the hotel and stopped in a bar for drinks and appetizers. Rusty was up and down, rushing me to finish my drinks and figidity. He mentioned since we had so much fun at Maggie O's last time we were in town that we should go back. I gladly agreed. We started walking. And kept walking. And then walked some more. We didn't think about how far away the pub was.

When we walked up to the pub, Rusty stopped me and faced me. He looked me in the eyes and I was waiting for a funny joke to come out of his mouth. Wrong. He said, "Katie, a year ago at this spot I asked you to be my girlfriend. Who would have thought this is where I would ask you to be my wife." He knelt down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I immediately started crying. I was thrown for a loop. Was this moment really happening? You think about it your whole life and now I was experiencing it. Through tears, I replied "Y-E-S!!!" He put the ring on my finer and we hugged and kissed. It was perfect. It was so us. He nailed it.

As we walked up to the doors of the pub, I noticed someone taking pictures of us and they had my nice camera. Odd. They kept congratulating us and before I could ask how they had my camera Rusty pulled me inside. I opened the doors and to my surprise my best friends and family were waiting for us. Double surprise of the night! When I saw my mom I cried some more. My best friend from Indiana drove down. Yes, she rocks. All our friends from Jonesboro plus Rusty's mom were there!

We had champagne and toasted our engagement. The pub gave us free beads, t-shirts and drinks! It was a perfect night full of love and laughter. We danced to a live band and crashed a random strangers birthday party in another part of the pub. One the taxi ride home the driver asked if we wanted to rock? Uh please! The night was perfect.

The next morning we had lunch and walked around St. Louis with friends. It was such a great trip! Also the diamond earrings were fake. Yeah, I announced that I also got diamond earrings to our friends and family. Everyone started laughing and Rusty informed me that he bought those because I found the jewelry bag. He wanted to throw me for a loop. They only cost him $8 at JCPenney and he talked the jeweler into giving him a free box.

Our engagement was perfect and everything I dreamed of! Here are some pictures to end with:














And this last one is just an added bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.