April 24, 2012

Planning Your Ceremony, Part 2

Last week we tackled one of my biggest insecurities while wedding planning, the ceremony. The ceremony made me draw a blank. I knew that I wanted sweet and intimate moments but where do I start? Before we get to the lovely list that I prepared I have a little prettiness for you...


1. Selecting Your Vows. Whether you are using traditional vows or writing your own, I think every couple should know what vows they will be reciting before the ceremony. This is your promise to each other and that my friends should always remain present in your marriage. 

2. Order of Service. We had a outline that our pastor followed so that helped in making our order of service. Regardless if your ceremony is very traditional or more modern add touches that showcase your love for one another. Bro. Dwain let us add things that we wanted, making our ceremony traditional but personal. It was something that I will never forget.

3. Selecting your music. This was one of the easiest parts for me. I love music that moves you. Your wedding music should reflect your style and make your ceremony that much better. I was once a part of a wedding where the bride played Come What May during the lighting of the unity candle. If you haven't heard this song, go listen now. As in now. It was such a forever memory from her wedding. I think I could write a whole post on the importance of a good wedding soundtrack. If you need help with selecting your music visit Colleen from Soundtrack to I Do. She is crazy talented! Whether it be music for your ceremony or for cocktail hour at your reception, she can help.

4. Decorations. I love a simply decorated ceremony. Don't get me wrong. I do love a colorful backdrop or ivy & flower altar but simple touches make for the best decor. Make sure that you carry out a theme with your decorations. DIY is always fun to mix in with your decor as well. Don't be afraid to ask for help when it comes to picking and setting up your decor.

5. Designing your programs. I was very lucky to have a mom who saved wedding programs from recent weddings she attended. Programs have come a long way. I also asked advice from bridesmaids who were already married. Your program, just like your decor, should carry out your theme for your big day. I have to be honest. I am one of those guests who follows along the order of service in the program versus paying attention to what is right in front of me. If you think you may have guests like me, you don't have to list the order of service. I do recommend including a note saying thank you to your loved ones and friends for their help in making your big day possible.

6. Look at each other and relax. Bro. Dwain was sure to remind us of this. I thought it was odd to stare at each other but it turned out to be very intimate. You should give it a try! It makes your ceremony that much sweeter. You are marrying your favorite person & that friends is the best reason to relax. The rehearsal also helps calm nerves a bit plus work out any ceremony kinks.

At the end of the day regardless of how well you plan, things will fall into place. Remember that if you forget the vintage guestbook sign for the ceremony or the cake table runner it doesn't matter. You are marrying your best friend and soulmate. That is all that matters at the end of the day. Isn't life grand?

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have my wedding next year and I get nervous as early as now about the whole thing. We plan to hold it at one of the Long Island wedding venues but that's as far as we've planned. Hopefully everything would turn out good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at the venue and it is gorgeous! Take your time and have fun. Plan effectively but remember to enjoy yourself along the way :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.