April 17, 2012

Planning Your Ceremony, Part 1

Hello there friends! One thing I have to say about wedding blogs is they are full of pretty imagery. I have a tad different approach. I like to show you pretties plus give you real bride/friend advice. Even though I had been apart of other weddings and helped in planning, you never know the full extent of wedding planning until you are the bride. Sometimes you have questions. Where do you turn? Who to trust? Who is right? I cannot guarantee that I will be right but I can tell you what I have learned. It is my promise to you to help at every turn.

What I wanted to start discussing today is one thing I needed help with, the ceremony. Do you just pick music? Do you really need a harp? Do you have to write your vows? Do you have to mix sand or light a candle? How do you know what to do? Ladies, I am here to help or at least point you in the right direction. First though is that eye candy that I promised you.


Ooooi, it hurts my eyes. Kidding! How neat to have palm trees be the backdrop of your wedding altar. Before you start the fun stuff like selecting that goosebump causing song for your walk down the isle, you need to begin with a bit of ground work. With these easy tips you can easily start planning the ceremony of your dreams. Let us begin part one!

1. Start with family traditions. I love family traditions. I think they are sweet, timeless and an unique gift for your loved ones. Ask family members of traditions that have transcended generations. Keep in mind you do not have to do what your family has done but you are more than welcome to. Talking with family also gives you ideas of their wedding ceremonies. They may mention an idea that you would like to incorporate or put a new twist on.

2. Select your type of ceremony. Before you even start planning your big day deciding on a theme for your wedding is important. Like I have mentioned before Rusty and I wanted to make guests comfortable, spend time with everyone the entire weekend and throw a fun party to celebrate. Your ceremony should reflect your style. Not just your personal style but your couple style. Rusty and I had a very personable wedding ceremony. Make sure your ceremony is a good balance. Wedding ceremonies can be traditional, religious, full of tradition, unique, extra sweet, emotional and fun. Make the ceremony your own.

3. Selecting your officiant. I knew without a doubt who our officiant would be. My Pastor is someone who raised me. He was able to make jokes,  genuinely smile and show emotion. I cannot begin to tell you how many people complimented Bro. Dwain and our ceremony. Bro. Dwain stuck with the traditional Baptist ceremony outline but let us add touches we liked. Your officiant should make you feel confident and comfortable as a couple. If you do not know the right officiant try turning to friends. It is very easy to have a family member become your officiant. Take the time to pick the best officiant for you both.

4. Paperwork. After picking your officiant and discussing plans for your ceremony make sure get the right paperwork completed. Not only do you need a marriage license (call your local courthouse for more details) but make sure to discuss premarital counseling. Each officiant may have a different take on the topic but I never think it hurts. Rusty and I spent an afternoon in counseling before the wedding while other couples spend a few hours each week leading up to the wedding.

4. Brainstorm/research ideas that you like. Regardless of your type of ceremony, you should always feel free to add your own personal touches. If your ceremony is very traditional try incorporating a new tradition. With typical religious ceremonies the officiant has a guide for your ceremony but most times you can add touches like your favorite song or one of my new favorite things, wedding bells. I am in love with the idea of having guests receive a bell before the beginning of the ceremony. As the groom leans in to kiss the bride, guests ring their bells. Talk about a picture perfect kiss and a sweet way to start your first moment as husband and wife. It is your day so make it your own!

This post is just the beginning of all the goodness I have to share. Don't worry friends. I promise to get to the more fun stuff soon! I hope that this post helps jump start your planning of your ceremony. Happy day loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.