December 20, 2012

Q & A: Jane Dog...Duh?!


To be honest, I am very surprised with myself that I have not talked more about this little fur baby. Meet Jane who you might have seen here. Two years ago yesterday we took a chance that would forever change our lives. You see I grew up with pups but Rusty never did. When we first got married I was baby crazy. Rusty told me no and I let the baby subject go.

A few weeks before Christmas I was browsing shelters for a puppy all without telling my husband my plan. I came across a picture of a little ball of fur name Holiday. She was a rescue living with her brother at Wynne Friends of Animals. (This shelter is hands down one of the best in the country.) I downloaded the application, filled it out that day and sent it right to them. I got a call on December 18, 2010 from the staff and they went over my application with me. The whole time I was holding my breath. I should have mentioned that the first time I saw Holiday's (Jane) photo in her red bandanna I cried. I knew that she was our baby.

{P.s. We are not the Robertson's. This is a mock up of our Christmas card before I changed our name.}

The staff informed me that I had been approved to adopt little Holiday. The following morning I drove 45 minutes to the shelter. I started thinking thoughts like are we fit dog parents? I always had a dog growing up but my parents took care of it for the most part. Can I do this? I arrived at the shelter (Rusty was working and didn't really know what I was doing) and was greeted by the kindest staff. They stressed walking around and meeting all the pups to make sure the one I selected was the right one. I was walking past Holiday's cage where she was wrestling with her brother Holidale and she locked eyes with me. The gentlemen showing me around said, "Oh man. She knows who Mommy is." I got a tour of the shelter and it was spotless. All of the puppies had a name and the staff could tell you their story and characteristics of the dogs personality. I was blown away by their knowledge and mostly, their love for these homeless dogs. In their eyes, they were not homeless anymore but residents of the shelter. The shelter also believes in not putting dogs down because reach capacity or the dog is heartworm positive. They provide the animals with the best life imaginable. I had to try real hard not to cry.

The moment came when I got to take Holiday (Jane) on a walk. We were walking side by side when I crouched down to pet her. She immediately climbed in my lap and it looked like she gave me a hug. That was it, the moment I became a puppy mommy. I drove Jane home where she proceeded to sleep under my drivers seat. She did that until she became too big. I remember Rusty didn't even know how to put a leash on her. Since I adopted a puppy without really telling him (Ha! He thanks me now! You should see those two together) I gave him the privilege of naming her. He wanted to give her a human name so Jane Irene (my middle name) Farrin stuck. We are so lucky and wouldn't know what to do without her!


You know some people just don't get my relationship with Jane. But it isn't yours to understand. Every day Jane teaches me what unconditional love is. Her attitude is permanently set to happy. She loves to play and roll around in the grass. She understands what I am saying when I talk to her. When we first moved to Texas I didn't have a job or a second vehicle. I was home a lot but Jane always kept me company. She rests her head on me when I cry. She greets me at the door with a wagging tail. She makes me laugh. Rusty and I always joke that we would not know what to do without her. She is our baby. I get the joy of waking up to a paw in my face every day. It melts my heart.

This year for Christmas Jane is getting a bone as big as she is plus a soccer ball, dental chews and a new stuffed animal. She has one stuffing free animal (the one from the infomercials with squeakers) that she has had since she was a baby. Now we are getting her a new one to join her toy basket. Spoiled, I know. A few other things about Jane that I love are she has a sensitive tummy so she loves goldfish crackers and homemade puppy treats. She loves sleeping in the sunshine. She knows tricks like to go get her rope when asked out of a toy basket full of toys. She brings the rope right to you. We think she is a genius. She loves to run with me. She is perfect!

One of the best gifts I ever bought myself was Jane. Knowing that we gave her a life outside of that wonderful shelter is comforting. If you get nothing else from this post listen to this. There is a puppy that needs you. There is a puppy that needs a warm and inviting home. Go adopt one. It will change your life for the better. Now if only I could talk Rusty into adopting one more....

Photos by Daniel Holman Photography

7 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweet story! That's how I feel about my dogs. I also volunteer at our local animal shelter, so yay for adopting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to start volunteering more at the shelter here in NB! That is so wonderful that you and encouraging!

      Delete
  2. OHHHH I TOTALLY GET IT TOO! I know we both feel the same way about our doggies. They're so much more than just pets. PS...I cried a little while reading this. It's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I love having a dear friend who gets it and is a puppy mommy too! :)

      Hug Quinley for me!

      Delete
  3. Well you know I LOVE this. Thank you for sharing the joy of adoption, it is a crusade of mine to get people to consider adopting before heading to a breeder! Trust me when I say I understand more than you know and am so grateful for my sweet pups. The only thing better than one dog, is of course, two! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hands down you are the most dedicated to pets! I hope to be like you one day and foster pups! You inspire us all!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.