July 19, 2012

Q & A: How Do I Stick With My Style?


I am going to let you in on a little secret. When it comes to wedding planning, everyone wants to help. Typically we all love lots of volunteers and help but not always.

This leads us to today's Thursday Q & A.

Q. How do I stick with my wedding style and theme but kindly tell others I do not want to incorporate their ideas? Some family members have said suggested things that they did when they got married and traditions they stuck with. While I love their ideas, it just doesn't fit our style or I really just don't want to do it. I am afraid to tell them no. I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings. Help!

A. Oh dear. I know exactly what you mean. Regardless of all the suggestions, remember to be grateful for family and friends who care. I can remember planning my wedding and having so many ideas thrown at me about the colors I should use or the bouquet I should carry.

If you are the type of person who has a problem saying no then this post is for you. If you can tell people no without flinching, I applaud you. I wish I had that backbone. One thing you need to keep in mind is this is your wedding. You are getting married once. This is your day, your celebration and your hard work. Here are a few suggestions for nice things to say and do. I hope this helps.

  • Give them another tasks. Find something else to do that excites them just as much. Have them test cake with you, have them go dress shopping, let them throw a shower. There are plenty of options for any family member or friend when it comes to wedding time.
  • Kindly say no thank you. Be polite but be honest. Tell them it just is not something you want to do. I promise they will respect you and will probably move on to a new topic. 
  • If they still are not getting the hint, be blunt. Sometimes people will not let things die. A true friend will understand and will eventually drop the subject. Don't let them heckle you or make you feel bad. Like I said, it is your time sister.

I hope that these tips help. Like I mentioned, I have to remember these things too. Telling others no can be tough but if you feel like no is the right answer stick with it. I promise an aunt who didn't get to add baby's breath in your hair just like she did on her wedding day will eventually seem silly to stress over. Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.