April 15, 2015

Breastfeeding and Weight Loss


Initially when I learned I was going to be a mommy I decided that I wanted to give breastfeeding a try. When Skip entered the world I was already so panicked about nursing him. I think I asked my mom 7 times within the hour he was born if I should start nursing him.

The stress of breastfeeding consumed me. It was hard while everyone I knew made it sound easy. Also I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing.

Recently a sweet friend sent me this article about breastfeeding and weight loss. It was the article that I had needed for 7 months now. When I decided to breastfeed selfishly one reason I wanted to do it was to loose the baby weight. Everyone told me that it just melts right off because of all the calories that you are burning. Awesome I thought.

And here I am 7 months later (happy 7 month birthday Skipper!) with weight still hanging on. About month 4 I thought this is awful. I love breastfeeding (especially for helping me heal with postpartum depression). It is such a sweet experience for baby and me. But I wanted to start to shed the pounds. I thought I would try working out first before changing too much of my diet. Successfully I have worked out and made it a daily priority. Recently, I decided to start watching every thing I ate. I changed my diet drastically and started eating only clean. No grain, no dairy, no sugar but lots and lots of veggie, lean meats and fruit. I started feeling better instantly. And then about day three of that my supply dropped almost 3 ounces per feeding. I was freaking out. It took so much work for me to get the hang of breastfeeding in the beginning and now my supply was dropping. Surely it was just that one pumping sesh at work. Nope, the next day I was low too and Skip was getting a tad fussy which he hadn't done since he was a baby.

I felt like I couldn't win. I want to lose this weight but I also have to feed my child. I felt selfish for thinking my losing this weight was more important than holding on to breastfeeding a few more months for the sake of what Skip loved and needed.

And then the thoughts of why did people tell me the weight would melt off? Were they lying? Why has that rumor always been passed around? Why wasn't breastfeeding working for me in the losing weight department?

Yes, I have s-l-o-w-l-y changed my diet and I am seeing some improvements. Yes, I am working out every day. Yes, I am still breastfeeding. Yes, I am stuck at the same weight. The scale isn't budging. And I have to be okay with that. Breastfeeding isn't the magic weight loss potion for me that it is for other people. And again, that is okay.

This post isn't for those moms who lost it like that. This post is for those of us who thought breastfeeding would work wonders. Don't be discouraged. Keep feeding that baby. Keep on keeping on. You will get your figure back but it may be once you are done breastfeeding. And that is okay! Love that baby. Love that baby all day long. And encourage other mom's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let's encourage one another.